Feb 28, 2010

The Mixtap Champ: For Promotional Use Only

Its that time again where I talk about something Ive had on my mind and for a while. I have no idea what the shower does to people, but I like this think it bring comfort almost like when a baby is in the belly of their carrier. I say that like it Fed-ex, but Im not that shallow. On to the topic at hand before I go off tilt and start talking about complete nonsense. Mixtapes, yes the infamous mixtape that has before a cheaper version of an album. It has almost become a norm for an artist to drop a mixtape with new material these days, when maybe 10 years ago the mixtape was for promo. As you may know the mixtape use to be about taking someone else beat and throwing your own verse on it. It help when it came to the streets, because some mixtape tracks were better than the original. The image to the right is from Kochece Lloyd Banks vs. Cassidy, although they never meet the mixtape was dope because the tracks were together as if they were battle each other (I think Banks killed it).

The Mixtape to the left was a promo release to the "Kiss of Death" album. This was also a dope album, but other than the Kochece mixtape this mixtape was more on the side of being an actual street album. It has some old school beats, tight new rhymes and some new material that would be on the upcoming album. I have come to love mixtape as they are now downloadable via the internet and $5 at the corner bodega. (we dont have those in Canada but you catch my drift)


Mixtapes in 2010 are album and yes, any album made is for promotional use. Curresny, Wiz Khalifa and J.cole all doipe in their own right and have made names for themselves mearly off their mixtapes. It almost seems like the next step foe mixtape is to start selling them in your local music store alongside the offical album. Exposure is everything and the more you have the more people talk, which is only good for the artist that trying to make it.



Need I say more about the album of 2009. Yes! Once a mixtape which had more hype than Wale. No disrespect to Wale but Drake smashed it last year, then me made it an offical album. This maybe the new turn for mixtape, making them offical because if all the songs are original, then why not. Make it offical and see where it take you. Im glad to say he Canadian, but thats a side now. Drake is the defintion of hussle. I once saw him at the movie theatre in my hometown and now he at the all-star game with my favorite ball player. It all started with this Replacement Girl. and  moved to Best I Ever Had. Now someone can not think about Canada without thinking about Drake unless your talking about the Olympics and Hockey. He has come along way and it`s been because of the mixtape

Thats my short, rant about mixtapes and where thet are going. I had alot more but everyoe from twitter decided to tweet the scores of the hockey game and now Im a completely distratced thanks twitter. Let go Canada....This year is our year...

-Live Strong
-Sean

No comments:

Get Creative: