Feb 26, 2010

Above Water: About Sean/SMurk

 I made this blog years ago, for a course I took years ago to display my art work on the world wide web. Im not sure anyone else still uses their blog from the course. It was a 2 year applied college course: Visual and Digital arts. I felt a the end of the day it was a waste of time as a hole. Today all I really have to show for it is the basic knowledge I gained while I was there a blog. The outsider lookin in may think its just your typical blog, but every post I make has some meaning to it and is not just posted to jump on the social chain letter of in formation like there other blogs. If you look at my 1st post: my 1st post.. you see it has always been about the artwork. and still today the idea remains the same. This blog is almost the Life and Times of Sean Lawrence or my heavily used alter ego....Smurk. Smurk for a week was a word I would hear frequently and someone always told me to "wipe the smurk off my face" so i ran with it. It been a staple in all my work, give me an escape a way out.

Always been one mess with the dry medium, I have always felt paint takes to damn long for my liking to deal with. Yeah!! I can paint I love dipping my hand into new things. Paint just takes really long to and all the mixing and what not. It has been the pencil that has been my friend for years. I never use to use colour for years for the simple fact I didnt know how to. I would have a dope image drawn and use colour and mess it up. Graffiti has also played a large role in my life time. It was really what drawn me into the art. It was my nirvana in a sense. It was something I had that the other kids didnt understand, nor did they want to. I was into graffiti from about grade 4 if I can remember that far back and eversince the art work has evolved with a graffiti-ish look to it.

As the I grew so did my passion for art and like a tree I began to branch out. Tattooing sketchs,  graffiti sketches, you name it. I was drawing it, colouring whatever I could do. In one year I had filled my computer with images I liked but realized if I come across it again I will remember it. My 1st tattoo was the names of my mother and father two people that are not going anywhere soon. I think my mother has alot to do with my art and the passion I carry with me. She is the reason I still drawn today, but not in thw way you would think. She would always try to get me to read and the more she tried the more I rebelled, the more I wanted to make art on the hallway walls and on the kitchen counter.
Today, I am a little more sane and have gone to a cleaner look:



The world is moving so fast these days which means, and thats also means the foundation of everything is crumbling from underneath us all. The pencil has been replaced with a wacom tablet and the letters and mail had been taken over by the likes of: facebook, twitter, and myspace. Yeah don't get me wrong I have all these things but to stay above wated you have to stick to your guns and not conform to societies pull for popularity and our cultures rise to that 15 mintures of fame. Andy Warhol once said "everyone will get their 15 minutes of fame". Im sure oneday I will get that, but when I have a realized the more you try to attaind soemthing the harder it is to obtain. So I figure Ill just keep my head above wated and keep doing whats makes me happy. My motto is "Creativity is a Must" and the word should be spread life wild-fire.

Well before this turns into a biography remember stay true to yourself never sell out and always do what you love.

-Stay Golden
Sean

No comments:

Get Creative: